Falling into Step with Society

Ayene Mitzi Cruz, Staff Writer

2015 and 2016 seem to be the years of acceptance and change. There are so many efforts in trying to make a positive change in our society. However, there are still other standards and problems teenagers face. These standards are the unwritten standards that everyone knows and doesn’t realize they follow. This means that we conform to these rules, whether or not we like them. But, what are these standards that we seem to follow?

“To be normal, intelligent, and to act and dress properly when I’m going to be around adult figures outside of school. AKA not [act like] a fangirl who can full on rant about her favorite things loudly. Especially as a teenager, because there are many stereotypes that make teenagers look bad. The ones where girls will dress a certain way to get a guy’s attention in a not good way and they’ll lie to go out to parties.” (Amabel Culajay, Sophomore)

“People tell me that, because I’m Asian, I’m supposed to be great at math. That I’m supposed to be the logical one and always think things through. I’m supposed to be the really smart kid who can solve equations within seconds, but that’s just not me. I think I’m more spontaneous and random, than I am logical and methodical.” (Brian Pham, Junior)

“Being able to be physically capable as a guy, to do what both boys and girls can do, when it comes to exercising. Being good looking, but I’ve finally accepted the way I am. Being compared with family and friends. Being mature, because I’m really childish. Dressing adequate for every occasion.” (Jimmy Gomez, Sophomore)

“I don’t know where to begin. The question should be: which ones do I feel, I don’t have to face. But I mean I’m a teenage black girl who immigrated from Africa when she was just a kid. I have to look a certain way, talk a certain way, get certain grades, [and] act a certain way. The list goes on and on. And if I don’t meet those standards either I’m “not authentic African”, I’m weak, or I’m not good enough. Coming from a country where culture means a lot, I’ve had expectations bestowed on me since the day I was born. Then moving to America was when I was 2, created a new set of standards. I have to be both African and American. It’s pretty hard having to try to meet one society’s standards, it’s even harder when you have to meet two.” (Gifty Atanga, Freshman)

Even for me, I feel like I have all these pressures. These rules for being a “normal” girl or a “normal” teenager. I’ll be honest here, I’m not your average teenage girl. But since we seem to be starting to accept some people, why can’t we accept all? I understand beauty belongs to the eye of the beholder. Should we even follow these standards just so that others can accept us? Sophomore, Aaron Morales says, “I believe everyone should act how they want to act, but in a respectful way. They should be themselves, but without being disrespectful to anyone in any way.” Agreed, be who you are and not who everyone wants you to be. If you end up being this bald, short, and loud teenage girl who gets stared at everywhere she goes…then so be it. Don’t be a follower, it’ll only create baggage for yourself. I believe, that no matter how much people may not accept you now…being yourself will make you happy in the long run.