Temporary Goodbye

Kathleen Catamisan, Staff Writer

On X Factor’s UK Season Finale, the boys of One Direction played one of their last performances before leaving on their 18 month hiatus. Earlier that day, Ed Sheeran also announced a hiatus and will be returning next fall. All around the world, fans mourned over the temporary loss of their beloved British boys.

Earlier this year, One Direction announced an 18 month break. This caused Directioners around the world to lose their cool. On Sunday though, it was the official start of the One Direction break. They played their last performance at the place where it started, the X Factor stage. To those who don’t know how One Direction came to be, they came on the X Factor UK. They made it onto the final round, and overall won 3rd place. 5 years ago, on December 13, 2010, ex-One Direction member Zayn Malik said the famous line “This isn’t the end of One Direction.” He was right about that. 5 years later the boys endured the lost of one member, and went through 5 successful albums, and 4 amazing tours. And now, they’re going on to a very well deserved break. The boys will finally be home and not worry about touring. Over the weekend, the Twitter and Instagram world was a storm. Directioners trended “#ThisIsNottheEndofOneDirection” for almost the entire day. Tears were shed almost everywhere, even I’ll admit that I was a mess. Though many people doubt a comeback, Directioners believe that they will. Member of One Direction, Louis Tomlinson, pinky-promised that they will return, and this is what seems to keep the Directioners going.

4-piece boy band, One Direction. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.

As if the One Direction hiatus wasn’t enough, Ed Sheeran also announced a hiatus. Ed took to social media to tell his fans that he’ll be taking a break. More hearts were broken. Ed released his album “X” on June 20, 2014. With this album, Ed got the recognition he deserves. In this album, came many singles like “Don’t”, “Thinking Out Loud”, and “I See Fire” which was featured on The Hunger Games. Ed Sheeran topped the charts with the song “Thinking Out Loud” and with this success, much more people discovered his music. Ed also went on a tour this year called the “x Tour”. With the success of two previous albums, Ed promised that the third album, which will be coming out next fall, will be the best one yet to come.

Singer/Songwriter Ed Sheeran. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.

Many students are heartbroken with this hiatus news. Sophomore Reginald R., thinks that “the  [One Direction] boys do deserve a break because they’ve been touring for 5 years and they need a break.” Sophomore Ashley J., also agrees even though she was “heartbroken and crying all day.” Juniors Genesis S., and Stephanie E., both were heartbroken with the news of Ed’s hiatus, but also believe that “he deserves a break because he’s been making hit after hit, and the break is well deserved.”

Although the temporary breaks of these major artists affected many fans, these boys do deserve the break. Year after year, both artists pushed out albums and toured. They haven’t been home in years. We’ll be missing them majorly, but make sure to be around  when they make their comebacks. I’ll make sure to update you all when that time comes!