66°
The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Aviator News

Aviator News

Aviator News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Key Club – What’s it all about?

Recently I decided to join Key Club to see what it was about. We had our first meeting on September 28, 2023. During the meeting, Key Club leaders explained to us what we would be doing in Key Club and shared information about upcoming events. Key Club allows you to stack up your volunteer opportunities. The amount of Volunteer Hours that you dedicate to Key Club will go onto your volunteer sheet. Common examples are cleaning up parks, beaches, and attending organizational events.

At the meeting we had the week of October 3, the leaders talked about paying our dues. They told us that our dues are $15 and they’d be a one time payment that could be made right outside of the cafeteria. Ms. Mendoza sent us various links to places that we can sign up to volunteer. She mentioned that most Fridays and Saturdays, Key Club members volunteer in front of the city hall to distribute food at no cost.

The last RTC spirit session for Key Club was on Thursday, October 12th at Del Aire park. The theme was to match as dynamic/iconic duos. During the Spirit session, we learned the chants to compete at six flags. The Key Clubs at other schools joined us to learn the chants. One of the chants was, “Hey c’mon bring that spirit. The leaders of the other Key Clubs taught us dances and the chants. The leaders mentioned that it was important for us to attend the last RTC session to learn the rest of the chants. In order to attend Six Flags, it is required to attend at least two of the meetings. 

There are different positions for the club members. These positions include, Newspaper Editor, Historian, Publicist, Secretary, Treasurer, Graphic Designer, President, Vice President, and Webmaster. Most positions were already taken, leaving two positions open. There are many benefits of joining Key Club, the main being that it looks great on college applications, which is why there is a one time due. Currently, the leaders of the club are Andrew, Angie, Diego, Judith, Jonathan, and Hardeep. All leaders hold a huge responsibility to make sure everything is going as planned. I would definitely recommend joining Key Club.

View Comments (2)