The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Chivas Win Copa MX

May 23, 2017

The 2017 iteration of the Copa MX  was a competition not for those faint of heart.

The Copa MX league has 24 teams of different levels put in groups to compete for the cup. The competition began on January 17 and ended on April 19 with Chivas coming out on top. In the quarterfinals, Santos played against Cruz Azul, Tijuana played against Morelia, Monterey against Puebla, and Chivas against FC Juarez. Morelia and Cruz Azul ended up with a victory and went to semi-finals as well as Monterey and Chivas. The games ended with very close scores; Chivas won Juarez 3-2 and  Monterrey won against Puebla 3-2. Chivas and Morelia went to finals and marked the end of the competition.  It was a pretty hard competition and it was a well-fought battle.

The final became a very long game that lasted 90 minutes plus the time for penalties.Chivas came in very close during the 90 minutes to scoring a goal. One of the times they were close to scoring was when Fierro, playing forward, centered the ball to Pulido, a midfielder, and he shot; the other one was a shot from Lopez, a midfielder. Sossa, Morelia’s goalie blocked both of the opportunities.

The teams ended up going to penalties because the score was a tie 0-0. Chivas scored 3 goals in penalty and Morelia scored one. Carlos Salcido, a Chivas player,  missed the first penalty, but the rest were scored. Morelia, on the other hand, were the opposite; they scored their first penalty kick and the rest Jimenez, Chivas’ goalie, blocked. Overall, the game was pretty much balanced and it convinced people that whoever wins deserved it because they battled out hard on the field. Junior Diana S. said,” I can’t believe Chivas won Copa MX; its been like two years since they haven’t won the Copa. But I think it’s really well deserved because they are a pretty strong team. Morelia too, any winner would’ve been fair.”

The important league that’s going on right now is the Liga MX Clausura, where teams can get an opportunity to get a title and make history again. Junior Maria S. said, ” I can’t wait to see who the winner will be. It’s between Chivas and America.” The next games in the league will be taking place this weekend. Currently, Chivas has made it to semifinals for the Liga MX Clausura and played against Toluca, but tied 1-1. They will have another match on May 21 to find out who is going to finals. The other two teams, Tijuana and Tigres, played and Tijuana won 2-0. Now, we just have to wait to see if the other finalist will be Toluca or Chivas.