The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Lady A’s Fever on its Start

March 29, 2017

Lady+As+pose+for+a+group+picture+at+the+beginning+of+the+season.+

Fortune Sobotie

Lady A’s pose for a group picture at the beginning of the season.

The Lady A’s started their season with victories and giving us a good feeling about the season. So far, they’ve played 3 league games and have been victorious on all of them. They are challenging themselves by playing lower division teams and having excellent performances in the field. Divisions are based on school size, meaning that the lower the division, the more experienced the players are because the school is bigger. HMSA is in the top ten division, meaning that they are doing great; being some of the best, even though we’re a small school. 

In their game against Morningside, the Lady A’s had a great victory. They ended up playing five innings, when they were supposed to play seven, due to their huge advantage in the game. They had a 20 run lead by the fifth inning, meaning the game was over and they had the victory. Sophomore Julissa T., number 26, started for the varsity pitching position and remained there for two innings.

Throughout the game, when victory was certain, Mr. Dura put in girls from the JV team to play as well and Cinthya M. pitched. After Mr. Dura made these adjustments, Morningside scored 3 runs, but by the fifth inning, D. Lockett was put in the game to “pitch and close the game,” as junior Hazel A. said. D. Lockett also scored home runs and was once again a major force in the game. Sophomore, Hillary P. mentioned, “I think our game against Morningside was a highlight to our league. The JV also got a lot of practice playing against a varsity team.” The bench was loud with cheers making sure to show their team spirit and motivation. The girls ended their game with a 22-3 victory that marked history this early in the league.

Lady A’s play a home game at Holly Park. Photo by Hazel A.

The Lady A’s continue to play tournaments on Saturdays. In their last two Saturday tournaments, on March 18, the girls took two wins against division 5 and 6 schools, while the Lady A’s are division 7. The start of the Lady A’s fever has the players looking forward to future games and confident that this season will be filled with success.