Jobs Celebrities Had Before Fame

Johnny Depp at the movie premiere for Transcendent. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons license.

Do you have a dream job? As high school students we have to realize that we’ll have to start working sooner or later. Some high school students that I know are already working. Many people tend to have ordinary jobs, but you will be surprised to hear how many of your favorite celebrities were once working in jobs you would least expect.

Today I will go over some celebrities, who were stuck with not too glamorous jobs, not knowing that they would become famous and make millions of dollars.

The handsome Johnny Depp sold pens as a living, leaving him to be, as one would say, a telemarketer. He did this until he found his true passion: acting. (Big thanks to Nicolas Cage for seeing the talent that Johnny Depp had.)

Jim Carrey, the great comedian from Dumb and Dumber, used to be a janitor at a factory. Despite his aspirations of becoming a comedian, his family’s economic situation led him to take this job. Later, like most people who want to become famous, he decided to move to Hollywood.

Ellen Degeneres on the set of her talk show. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons license.

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres was a waitress, amongst other jobs before she would do stand up comedy. If we go back to the present, Ellen now has a successful show called  “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” and has the opportunity of making many people laugh with her humor.

I hope this encouraged many of you to go after your dream job because although your first, or many jobs, might not be the best, there is always a chance that tomorrow will be better. I believe that it’s not where you start, but where you finish that counts.