55°
The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Aviator News

Aviator News

Aviator News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

HMSA’s First Impressions by Freshmen: Overall Good or Bad?

Freshmen have just experienced their first months at HMSA, and I went around asking two questions: What were your first impressions of HMSA? How was your first couple of months at HMSA?  

My personal response to that question is that HMSA is one of the biggest school’s I have been in, considering that I came from an extremely small school before. My first month was more of me getting adjusted to the new school and making some new friends, along with getting used to running around campus to my classes. 

Here are some responses from some freshmen around campus!

David B. – “I thought HMSA was going to be an academically challenging school, and it’s fun socially but academically eye opening.”

Angel D. – “It is as strict as I thought it was going to be; it is very nice and challenging unlike middle school. It’s great, my grades are good, people are very respectful and I think I’m really going to enjoy this school.”

Barthina A. – “HMSA is a hard school, but it’s not that hard, . . . so happy that I’m going to HMSA.”

All of these responses have distinct ways of saying that HMSA is different from any school they have been to before. 

Some people have some negative things to say about their first month, and it ranges from having a lonely first month, to being late on their assignments, which tells you that people have different viewpoints of the school. 

One anonymous response said that, “My first impression of HMSA was that it would be difficult as it is a small school. Plus, I thought that it would be extremely strict and boring,” but now they think they’ve had a good experience so far. Regarding their first month at HMSA they said, ”Honestly, it has been very fun. Of course you know there’s one subject that’s difficult, and I’m sure most of us know what it is, but other than that I’ve already made many great and fun memories.” 

Adrian C. says, “I thought HMSA was going to be a lame and boring school.” However, his first month went better than expected: “It went by way too fast and isn’t that bad; I already met so many friends.” 

Not everyone has good months and sometimes things go wrong, but that’s how it is with new schools. Some people made new friends and are excelling in their classes and stepping out of their comfort zone. Now people are getting the hang of their classes and going around HMSA. 

The pictures attached below are some events that happened during the first month (and a half) of school, and people that made new friends and stuck with their old friends too!