Aviator News

The Maze Disaster

"The Maze Runner" by Josue Virgen via WikiCommons under Creative Commons Share Alike 4.0 International license.

Jimena Prado, Staff Writer

I only wanted to read this book because I saw the movie first. I watched the movie first because I am a huge Dylan O’Brien fan, and I realized I had to read the book the movie was based on. The movie was good, so that means the book has the same aspects as the movie. Right?

Wrong! Okay, I admit it. I knew the book was going to be a little different from the movie. However, the movie makes the plot easy to understand. The book is good. . . for those who like to be confused or like a complicated background to a novel. Personally, I hate not understanding the story. I. Dislike. Not. Understanding. The Maze Runner is extremely complicated with aspects to the plot that you won’t comprehend unless you read the whole series. I understand the author does this to keep the reader on the edge of their seat, but there is a difference between incomprehension and suspense. I normally get the gist of the whole plot as soon as I finish the first book to a series. Unfortunately, I didn’t quite understand the point to The Maze Runner. I am currently on the second book in the series, and I am still confused. 

*Sorry, but possible spoilers*

Thomas arrives to The Glade, a place in the middle of a maze, with his memories gone. The only thing he can remember is his name. When Thomas gets stung by a griever (a monster that lurks in the maze a night), he is forced to go through “the changing.” The changing brings snips of your memories back, but not everything. I grew even more confused when Thomas started to get some memories back. I didn’t understand what the “trials” meant, what “W.I.C.K.E.D” meant, or what the “flare” was. I was so confused. I will give credit to the one thing I enjoyed in the first book and second book so far, Minho. Minho is by far my favorite character. He is sarcastic, funny, arrogant, and a person who could care less. I love his character, and just love how he interacts with Thomas. This was so funny; I loved it. Overall, I wasn’t satisfied with The Maze Runner. I would only recommend this book to someone who is willing to read the whole series to understand it. If you are looking for a stand-alone book, I would definitely not recommend The Maze Runner.