Aviator News

Boys Soccer Close their Season with Senior Night!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys soccer taking their team pictures for the 2017-2018 season (Photo Source: Mr. Launius).

Xochitl Arquieta, Sports Editor

On Tuesday, February 6, the boys soccer team played their last game against Wildwood, closing the season for the boys. That night was the senior night for the boys soccer team and they were ready to leave it all on the field.

All the seniors played that night and the game started at a disadvantage for the boys. The boys were facing intractable offense attacks by the other team. Although the defense did their best out on the field, Wildwood had the lead by 2 goals. During the first half, captain Ruben Rodriguez, scored a goal by an assist made by Jonathan Canales. The Aviators remained at a disadvantage throughout the first half and ended 3-1. However, the score did not impinge on the boys’ performance for the remainder of the game.

In the beginning of the second half, the boys remained with a placid mentality. The results of the first half did not curtail their effort and their performance starting the second half. The boys knew they couldn’t expunge the score, so they were determined to score even more goals the second half to have a chance to win the game. They were able to execute frenetic offensive attacks and eventually scored two more goals. Esteban Becerra assisted Aaron Morales on an enthralling goal. Captain Erick Mejia also took a shot and scored a goal for the team. However, the boys fell short of reaching the lead for the remaining of the second half, as Wildwood scored more goals.

Unfortunately, the boys were not able to make it to playoffs this season; this game was the one that they were waiting for to determine whether or not they were going to advance to playoffs. The boys were tied with other teams for the spot to advance to the playoffs, but since they didn’t win this game, they couldn’t advance. They were really close this season. However, this result doesn’t mean that the soccer team isn’t seen as a meritorious team. They brought HMSA pride for each game they won this season and the seniors contributed a lot to that. Senior Erick Mejia said, “ I will miss playing alongside my friends and bringing pride to HMSA.” After being asked what he thinks the boys took from this season, Mr. Launius said, “ I think they learned the importance of perseverance and camaraderie,” he added, “ This season was pretty successful. Our team’s strengths this season was passing and defending.” Although the seniors are leaving and they’ve contributed a lot in the past four years of HMSA boys soccer, the boys are looking forward to having a propitious season next year.