Aviator News

Psychotic Romance

Ernesto Padilla. Photo taken by Pedro Adame

Ernesto Padilla, Staff Writer

Psycho Love Comedy, or Psycome for short, is written by Mizuki Mizushiro. The book is exactly what the title says, it is a harem* love comedy, except most of the characters are psychotic teenage murderers in Purgatorium Remedial Academy, a high school and prison. The main character, Kyousuke Kamiya, is the exception since he has never tried to kill anyone. However, Kyousuke’s super strength, great fighting skills, and his tendency to get into fights, makes him the perfect suspect. He is framed as the “Warehouse Butcher” who murdered twelve people and earns a spot in the Academy on a false pretense.

The school has a lot of interesting characters: Maina Igarashi, whose clumsiness is literally deadly; Eiri Akabane, the daughter to an infamous family of assassins in the underground world; and Renko Hikawa, a girl with a very attractive physique (other than the gas mask she wears that can’t be taken off by normal means). There are many other characters with interesting characteristics as well. Even the teachers of this Academy, with the purpose of “redemption,” are horrible people.

I loved the book, especially because it is exactly what I expected. The characters have an interesting background, and the stories are surprising and entertaining, even saddening at times. The book also has the typical characteristics of a anime/manga : a clutz, a yandere*, and an easy-going/crazy girl. I also love the fight scenes, except that if they are not read carefully, it can be easy to get lost in them. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the characters can be dark and deranged at time. I usually don’t have the stomach for this type of behavior. I don’t know why, but I always enjoyed harems where the girl’s romantic interest grows as the guy is completely oblivious to it. This appeal is enhanced even more when he is trying to survive the constant feuds over him, and everyone being a murderer only amplifies it. 

Harem*: Refers to multiple characters being romantically interested in the same person in anime, light novels, or manga.

Yandere*: when a character who is either psychotic or violent or both, and shows affection to the main character.