Getting to Know Mr. Nguyen

Photographer: Kevin Candray

1. What kind of student were you in high school?

“I was an okay student. I wish I would have taken the opportunity more seriously and studied often. If I could go back in time, I would change my perspective about school. I would make myself more motivated like I am right now to get my masters degree.”

2. Why did you become a security officer?

“As a psychology major, books taught me how to read people. Being a security, I have the opportunity to put that talent to use. Everyday, I have to observe students, so I get to notice small aspects of people by simply reading their body language.”

3. Did any specific experiences allow you to know you wanted to be a security officer?

“Nothing specific. I’m a security officer due to my schooling in psychology. I know martial arts as well, so that’s helpful when protecting myself and others.”

4. What college did you attend?

“I went to the California State University of Fullerton for my bachelors. I am currently attending the California State University of Long Beach for my masters in public policy and administration.”  

5. Can you give me three fun facts about you?

• “I can withstand very cold water. It doesn’t phase me when I come into contact with it. Cold temperature can make the immune system weak, so I trained myself to withstand the cold.”
  • “In high school, I was a wrestler. In order to cut weight, they would increase the temperature, so I can also withstand very high temperatures.”
  • “I have been doing Jiu-Jitsu for over 15 years. It has helped me look at life through a different perspective. I believe it has helped me become more mindful, spiritual, and empathetic.”

6. What do you do in your free time?

“In my free time, I like to meditate and practice my Jiu-Jitsu. Since I am going to school right now, most of the time I am studying. I also hang out with my friends and family. Because self development is a significant part of my life, I try to use my time wisely to grow as a well rounded person.”