Throwback Thursday: Concert Edition – KROQ’s Almost Acoustic Christmas

Jacquelyn Flores, A&E Editor

In celebration of KROQ’s Almost Acoustic Christmas that is happening at the Forum this Saturday and Sunday, I’m going to lead you down the loooooong list of well-known and not-so-well-known artists that have played at this concert since it began in 1989.

If you don’t know what KROQ is, it’s a Pasadena-based radio station that plays Alternative Rock music. (So if you’re into that, 106.7 KROQ-FM is where your radio should be tuned into.)

The first ever concert, held in 1989, had a number of small, rising artists (who unfortunately didn’t make it big, since the lineup of artists who performed has never been found).

In 1994, Weezer (who have made a huge comeback this past month) made an appearance at the show.

David Bowie, No Doubt, Green Day, and Blink-182 performed at the show, amongst other bands who were not so well-known at the time.

Green Day's frontman Billy Joe Armstrong in 1997. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.
Green Day’s frontman Billy Joe Armstrong in 1997.
Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.

One of my favorite bands, My Chemical Romance, made their KROQ Acoustic Christmas debut in 2004. Another one of my favorite bands, Fall Out Boy, quickly followed, making their debut at the concert in 2005.

In 2004, my favorite bands My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, and Thirty Seconds to Mars all performed at the concert along with some of your favorites such as: The Killers, AFI, Foo Fighters, and Evanescence.

We skip through 11 more years of the concert and see artists such as Walk the Moon, Florence and the Machine, The Black Keys, Neon Trees, Mumford & Sons, fun., Grouplove, Of Monsters and Men, Imagine Dragons, Two Door Cinema Club, Lorde, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, New Politics, Bastille, and The Neighbourhood.

This year, though, the lineup is even better than it was in 2014. This year, KROQ has brought artists that don’t necessarily fall under the Alternative Rock or Indie Rock genre.

On Saturday, December 12th, AWOLNATION, Bastille, Cage The Elephant, Disclosure (DJ set), Foals, Halsey, Silversun Pickups, The Struts, Twenty One Pilots, Weezer, and X Ambassadors are set to perform.

Performers Twenty One Pilots. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.
Performers Twenty One Pilots.

On Sunday, December 13th, Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness, Chris Cornell, Cold War Kids, Elle King, Fall Out Boy, George Ezra, James Bay, Of Monsters And Men, Panic! At The Disco, The 1975, and The Neighbourhood are set to perform.

Now, if I could go to at least one of the nights of this concert, I’d definitely go on Sunday. I know I would miss out on seeing Twenty One Pilots, Halsey, and Weezer, but come on, four of my favorite artists are performing that night.

After the weekend, I’ll catch you guys all up on how the performances went. If you go, catch me around campus and let me know first-hand how it went!