The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Aviator News

Happy Late Birthday, Aaron Rodgers!

Green Bay Packers' quarterback, Aaron Rodgers turned 32 yesterday. Photo via Wikimedia under the Creative Commons license.

Chad Davis

Dion Bui, Sports Editor

Aaron Rodgers celebrated his 32nd birthday yesterday and he went to work for the Green Bay Packers today. In this week’s Thursday Night Football matchup, the Green Bay Packers took on the Detroit Lions on the road. After allowing the Lions to score 17 points in the first quarter, the Packers would allow another Lions’ field goal in the third quarter to bring the deficit to 0-20.

However, Aaron Rodgers is no stranger to comebacks. He would go on to throw two touchdown receptions in the third quarter to bring the deficit down to 14-20. Eventually, the fourth quarter started and Aaron Rodgers managed to cut a 20 point Lions lead down to a 6 point Lions lead. After a missed Packers’ field goal and a successful Lions’ field goal, the Lions were up by 9 points, making it a two-possession game.

The fourth quarter belonged to the Green Bay Packers. With a touchdown, the Packers brought the game to 21-23. The Packers’ defense would redeem themselves from a terrible first half and force a Lions’ punt. With 23 seconds left in the game, the Packers needed to score to win the game. After two incomplete passes, Aaron Rodgers threw a 19 yard pass to James Jones with 6 seconds left in the game. On what would have been the final play of the game, the Lions’ Devin Taylor was flagged for a personal foul, which gave the Packers 15 yards and an additional play.

With the ball on the Packers’ 39 yard line and one final play, Aaron Rodgers had no choice but to throw a hail mary. Fortunately for the Packers and sadly for the Lions’ fans, Richard Rodgers, the Packers’ tight end caught the 61 yard throw for the game-winning touchdown. With no need for the extra point, Aaron Rodgers took a knee and ended the game with a 27-23 victory, overcoming a 20 point deficit.

It seems like Aaron Rodgers received a great birthday present while Lions’ fans received nothing but heartbreak. One thing for sure is that football fans across the nation got one very special Thursday Night Football matchup.