66°
The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Aviator News

Aviator News

Aviator News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Volunteer Opportunities

In order to receive your diploma, it is necessary to do at least 100 volunteer hours by the end of your senior year. During COVID restrictions, the classes of 2022, 2023, and 2024 only had to do 75 hours, but now it’s back to 100 hours for all grades. To earn an optional medal to wear at the graduation ceremony, you have to complete 200 hours or more. Volunteer hours can be done by helping around your local library, senior center, old school, animal shelter, etc. 

When there is an event at the Hawthorne Memorial Park, Ms. Kratz always sends out a Google form to complete if students are interested in helping out. Unfortunately, spaces are limited so it’s best to sign up the same day the form is sent out. On Saturday, September 16, World Fest took place and students were given the opportunity to sign up and help out to earn 5-10 hours depending if they signed up for both shifts. You can keep in touch with the Hawthorne Memorial Park supervisors to see when the next event will take place. 

It’s important to keep track of your hours when you complete them. Even though the office keeps track of them, it’s helpful to have your own copies to make sure everything matches up. It is also helpful to ask around your neighborhood if any businesses need an extra hand in anything. 

Even if volunteering is a requirement for graduating, it also looks good on your resume when applying for colleges. It shows that you like to get involved within the community. Volunteering tells other people that you are responsible, helpful, and reliable.

It’s best to start on your volunteer hours during freshman year so you don’t have to rush to complete them in senior year. Some students may even be able to complete all 100 hours before senior year, but as long as you complete them before the end of senior year, you’re good to go.