Getting to Know Ms. Hardesty More Than You Already Do!

Ms.+Hardesty

Ms. Hardesty

Earl Coker, Writer

She actually has been working for HMSA for two years now: she taught one year as an Independent Study teacher before recently beginning to teach Intro Computer and AP Psychology.

The following is a transcript of our interview:

Where did you work before?

I worked at Serra high school and Chaminade high school for a total of 10 years.

Why did you switch from teaching to subbing?

So I can go back to school to become a licensed therapist. I want to work with adolescents and young adults who are struggling with different things such as stress, anxiety, depression, motivation, ADHD, managing their stress and learning coping skills, working on their relationships. etc

Why didn’t you pursue to become a MFT before? 

I am getting my license to be what is called an MFT; marital family therapist and that allows me to work with children, adolescents, adults and families, helping them to cope with everyday challenges, stressors, and mental health. I took a job teaching high school psychology while I figured out what I wanted to be…on that path I first got a Masters in Education and a teaching credential in social sciences and now I am getting my Psychology Masters in therapy.

Who is your favorite student?

I love all my students.

How do you feel teaching freshmen for the first time?
It’s a refreshing experience since I only ever taught seniors.

Which staff member has helped your transition to HMSA?

Ms. Jordan because she was a mentor for me as I transitioned into HMSA; she showed me the ropes and helped me adjust to working here. If it was not for her, I would not have survived. I am grateful for her unconditional patience and kindness!

What do you like to do in your free time?

I like to garden and read, go to cycling classes, and the beach. I love reading fiction, Egypt, books about psychology, health and wellness, books on spirituality, and on science.

What is your favorite book and the book you’re currently reading?

I love the book called Wild by Sheryl Strayed,  and I’m currently reading The Buddha In Your Mirror.

What was your favorite and least favorite subject in school?

My favorite subjects were science and English and my least favorite was Math.

What is your favorite type of music?
Classic rock and 90s; favorite bands: No Doubt, Alanis Morissette, Fleetwood Mac and Tommy Petty.

What is your favorite food?

My favorite food is Mediterranean food.

If you were stranded on an island that only serves one dish what would it be?

Grilled fish, rice, beans, plantains, pico de gallo.

What would you do if you became principal? 

Add more counselors here for students.

In my personal opinion she’s a great teacher and sets a fun environment, but when it comes to her reading time she is very serious about everyone being quiet.