Best Movies of 2019

Adrian Barrios, Writer

Best Movies of 2019

2019 has been a huge year for movies. From Avengers: Endgame grossing $500 million worldwide in three days to Toy Story 4 becoming the sixth highest grossing animation, 2019 has had great movie releases. Even with many incredible movies in 2019 and more to come, here’s my Top 5 list of favorite movies from 2019. 

5.) Shazam

Shazam is the funny, action-packed, and heartwarming movie that DC fans have been waiting for. Shazam truly embodies the beloved comic character through the balance between the life of 14-year-old Billy Batson and his new adult alter ego, Shazam. The movie follows Billy Batson’s adult persona and its consequences on the maturity of his younger self.

4.) Spider-Man: Far From Home 

Spider-Man: Far From Home follows the story of Peter Parker, a high school student, on a school trip to Europe. I highly enjoyed this film since it showed how the people in the MCU are recovering after the events in Avengers: Endgame. In addition, I enjoyed Peter Parker’s inspiring character; Parker perseveres through the damage dealt to him and continues to grow.  

3.) Us

Us illustrates the true brilliance and creativity of director Jordan Peele as he displays this horror story on the big screen. Us tells the story of the Wilson family out on a vacation. Adelaide, the mother, fears that darkness is going to fall on her family. After an outing, when the family returns to their vacation house, the family encounters a terrifying obstacle to their survival: themselves. The movie will leave you with your stomach turning. 

2.) Avengers: Endgame 

Avengers: Endgame gave the amazing movie series the ending it deserved. Even though some characters did deserve better, the ending set up the future of the MCU. I loved how Avengers: Endgame portrayed the passing of the torch. Although I was crushed by the fate of some characters, I’m still excited for what’s to come for the MCU.

1.) Toy Story 4

Toy Story 4 was truly an amazing movie. It gave a fair, heartwarming ending to this beloved Pixar franchise. It’s truly hard to believe that this is the end of the franchise, but I personally enjoyed the ending because it went in a different direction from the rest of the franchise, which is truly surprising especially from a Pixar movie. I love how it shows the growth of the toys and how they’ve grown closer over the years. The film doesn’t sugarcoat anything; the truth is that not everything ends happily, nor does it last forever.