Aviator News

What do People Do on Thanksgiving?

Valeria Arroyo and Fatima Faisal

Thanksgiving is a national holiday in the United States, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. Thanksgiving’s history goes back to 1621, when a group of English Pilgrims in present-day Massachusetts shared a feast with a tribe of Native Americans to celebrate a plentiful harvest. The exact date was verified in 1863 by Abraham Lincoln, and he declared it a national holiday across the whole country. Thanksgiving is also celebrated in Canada, the Caribbean Islands, and the U.K.

People have plenty of traditions for Thanksgiving, so we asked a few students what they do. Emma Castañeda, a freshman here at HMSA said that her family puts slips of paper with different types of foods in a container to see who will make which food for their Thanksgiving dinner.

Shania Miles, a sophomore, says she simply goes to a fast food restaurant for Thanksgiving. Rahma Nur, another sophomore, said that her family gets together to eat a big feast.

Catherine Sanchez, a senior, said that she goes to her aunt’s house, where they have a potluck and then eat all the food.

Some other students said that they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving.

About the Writers
Valeria Arroyo, Writer

Valeria Arroyo is a freshman and is starting her first year at Aviator News. Over the weekend, she can be seen baking or cooking for her family and friends....

Fatima Faisal, Writer

Fatima Faisal is a freshman at Hawthorne Math & Science Academy. She likes to sketch anime and sceneries during her free time. She also likes to spend...