Should HMSA Have Longer Breaks During Passing Period?

Elementary and middle schools have large breaks in between classes, called recesses. Yes, recess time… those were the days where we could relax and free our minds before our next classes. Unfortunately, high schools only have five minute passing periods (only enough to get to your next class) and longer class times. For relaxation and a chance to unwind, I think HMSA should have longer passing periods or actual recess in between each class.

There are two nearby high schools that have longer breaks, they call it the “snack and silent reading time.” One of those high schools is Redondo Union High School. They too follow a regular block schedule (like us); they’re “snack and reading time” starts at 9:45 a.m. and ends at 10:30 p.m. (about 45 minutes in total) and their school ends at 2:55PM (http://www.redondounion.org/ cms/page _view?d=x&piid=  &vpid=1248552166556).

Mira Costa is the other school with a similar program; except they only have a “snack time.” However, both Mira Costa and Redondo Union High do not have college prep (CP) classes like HMSA does. If HMSA had no CP time, all clubs, sports, and other meetings would be held after school instead of during (http://www.miracostahigh.org /ourpages/bell_schedules.jsp).

This would be an ideal schedule for me because it allows my brain a break to just relax and read a book I enjoy. I also get hungry during first period and by the time third period comes along, I am usually distracted by how hungry I am and constantly wonder about how long it is until lunch starts; I believe many students agree with me. If we had snack and reading time it would be between first and third period, allowing students to refuel and be ready for the next class period. This time will also help us relax and unwind instead of rushing to our next class.

If HMSA did have this type of schedule we would lose ten minutes of the lunch time that we currently have and CP would either be shortened or taken away completely. Although this sounds unappealing, it is actually worth it because we would have a break between classes and I believe that’s more important because it allows us to have a break from learning. The reading portion of the break will help us expand our word vocabulary, imagination, and it will encourage us to read more books.

Vice Principal, Mrs. Castellanos stated that “those high schools most likely do not provide breakfast and they might require you to buy a snack or bring your own food from home [for the snack times].” Actually, I am very thankful HMSA provides breakfast for us, unlike the other high schools. I went on both school websites and found that Mira Costa High School does not provide breakfast for their students at all. While Redondo Union High School does provide the students with breakfast, it comes with a $2.00 fee.

Break between the classes is very important, it allows our minds a much needed break and lets us do something during the day that we enjoy. I prefer to have short periods of break throughout the school day instead of just one big break. I still believe that snack and reading time would be beneficial for us because it allows us to have breaks between classes in order to calm our minds.