Is Senioritis a Thing?

Senioritis, a ten letter word defined by the Urban Dictionary as “a crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. “Symptoms include laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts. It also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as ‘graduation.’ “

There is much debate whether senioritis is real or not. Some people believe that senioritis is real and only for seniors. Some believe senioritis affects all grade levels throughout high school. Others believe that senioritis is not real at all.

I believe senioritis does exist and not only affects seniors, but it affects all high school students. When the end of the year rolls around many students tend to become lazy and they don’t feel like doing anything anymore. AP students feel this especially after they finish taking their exams. I will admit that after my AP Biology test was over, I felt like doing nothing. By the time summer is near, all students do not have the same motivation they had in the beginning of the year. However, I believe students should have more motivation to finish because every grade counts especially the grades at the end of the year when students have fewer and fewer assignments to help raise grades.

When asked if she believes senioritis is real, Junior Celine S. said, “It is, because I am tired of doing all this work and I am extremely burnt out and have no motivation.” I agree with Celine because it happens to a lot of students, myself included even if I am not a senior.

Junior Linda R. also said, “ I feel like you don’t really know what senioritis is or what it feels like until you have finally reached 12th grade, but overall, I think it’s real. There’s a difference between getting lazy because you know the school year is gonna end and getting lazy because you know you never have to come back to high school.”

Freshman Zainab T. responded to the question by saying, “Senioritis is a very real thing that most high school students suffer with. It’s a plague that takes over through the last months of school making it hard for people to pull through. I wish us all good luck in getting through this year.” Zainab also agrees with me that senioritis does not only affect seniors but all high school students.

Senioritis is a thing that affects all grade levels throughout high school, although, senioritis admittedly affects seniors more than any other grade level. Although seniors can’t wait to get out of high school and go to college, senior grades still count. According to Princetonreview.com “Senioritis does not exist anymore. Colleges do consider fall grades, and even after admission your high school classes and grades still matter.” Seniors have to fight the urge to do nothing and get the grades necessary to pass.

Even though you may get tired, school is almost over and just keep pushing through it. It will all be over soon. Although Princeton Review states that “senioritis does not exist anymore,” I still believe it exists on some levels. It is seen in HMSA and many other high schools. For all high school students, I believe you can do it and don’t give up! Continue to work hard until the last day because every grade counts!