An Abundance of Faults

Cinthya Montoya, Staff Writer

Photo via Google Images under Creative Commons license.

Whether we want it or not, at some point we end up getting dumped by someone. You can’t escape it; it is a matter of reality. But what would happen if you would get dumped nineteen times by someone under the same name?

You probably guessed it by now. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green relates the story of a prodigy and high school graduate, Colin Singleton . Colin has a specific attraction towards people: they have to be named Katherine. After graduating high school, Colin gets dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine. Colin is  accompanied by his lazy but loyal best friend, Hassam, who decides they need to go on a road trip to Gutshot Tennessee. With 10,000 in his pocket, Colin is on a mission to discover a mathematical theorem that he hopes will determine the durability of his romantic relationships.  

An Abundance of Katherines or An Abundance of Faults? The plot is as exciting as watching T.V. static. The main character, Colin, comes off as a self-serving, pseudo-intellectual who should have realized after nineteen times (eighteen because he realizes later on that he was actually the dumper for once) that his pursuit for Katherines was not a brilliant idea. Like Colin, John Green should have realized that using the word “fugging” instead of the F-word becomes annoying and redundant.  I wanted to quit reading the book. What about a plot twist? 

There is no doubt that John Green writes fascinating books, but An Abundance of Katherines isn’t one. I wouldn’t recommend the book to anyone who hates math or anyone wanting to try a John Green novel because this isn’t his best composition. Are two-hundred and fifty words really worth 10 AR points?