The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

What’s Going on in the NBA?

March 30, 2017

The NBA season is halfway through and it has been one heck of a ride. The Warriors currently have 55 wins and only 14 losses in the West, while the King, Lebron James’ Cavaliers, are still first place (in the Eastern Conference) with a record of 45 wins and 23 losses. With one more month left before the NBA playoffs, it’s time to dive into detail on how well the top contenders are currently doing.

Coming out of All-Star break in the Western Conference, Russell Westbrook has been explosive in recent games. According to ESPN.com, he is averaging 31.7 points per game and had recently achieved 34 total triple doubles, the second most in a season. In the Eastern Conference, the Cavaliers are still reigning. However, the rebuilding Boston Celtics are having an incredible season. Their top scorer, Isaiah Thomas, is averaging 29.2 points per game while playing for an insane +34 minutes each game. They are currently second in the conference, trailing the Cavaliers with a record of 44 wins and 26 losses.

There has been a lot of talk revolving around the Warriors’ coaching staff these past few weeks regarding Steve Kerr’s (head coach) decision to bench the starting five. There has been a lot of controversy around the issue, and most analysts are quite skeptical about it, especially the fans who pay money to see the best players in the league play. It’s understandable to note that Steve Kerr is resting his guys to prepare them for the playoffs. However, here is what he has to say, “It’s 100 percent health (related). I’ve been conferring with the training staff on every day on this trip” (mercurynews.org). Draymond Green, power forward of the Warriors, replied, “That can’t be helpful for the human body. It’s a very interesting thing Steve is doing by sitting us. I can’t say we don’t need it.”

With only 14 games left in this NBA season, many of the players have become exhausted and weary. However, the NBA playoffs are going to be a huge grind for these teams, especially for last year’s reigning Cavaliers team, who are aiming to get back to back championship titles. We’ll just have to wait and see what’s in store for the upcoming final weeks.