HMSA Students Have a Blast at This Year’s Winter Formal

Winter+Formal+winners+from+each+grade+level+join+to+take+a+picture.++From+left+to+right%3A+King+Brian+P.+and+Queen+Erika+G+%28seniors%29.%2C+Prince+Don+M.+and+Princess+Melissa+M+%28Juniors%29.%2C+Duke+Melvin+T.+and+Duchess+Briethney+%28Sophomores%29%2C+Lord+Carlos+G.+and+Lady+Emily+G+%28Freshmen%29.+

Kevin Candray

Winter Formal winners from each grade level join to take a picture. From left to right: King Brian P. and Queen Erika G (seniors)., Prince Don M. and Princess Melissa M (Juniors)., Duke Melvin T. and Duchess Briethney (Sophomores), Lord Carlos G. and Lady Emily G (Freshmen).

Winter formal is an HMSA tradition that takes place every winter season. Students purchase tickets in advance and look forward to this annual event. The dance was held in Lawndale’s Community Center, the same building it took place last year. Every year, a theme is chosen to make each dance a different and new experience. This year the theme was inspired by the book “The Great Gatsby,” which was voted upon by ASB members and then voted on by the rest of the school after the themes were narrowed down. On the day of the event, many students were eager to finish the school day to go home and get ready.

Doors opened at 6:45 p.m., so by 7 o’clock, almost all the tables were occupied by patient HMSA students waiting to be fed and served a fun night. Students arrived well dressed and ready to have a good time with their friends. Some people even dressed in accordance with the dance’s theme; a few girls dressed as “flappers,” which was a popular style in the 1920s. At the entrance, students were greeted by Ms. Castellanos and Officer Nguyen, who checked the students’ belongings before they entered the ballroom. Also, there was a beautiful golden background used by students and the yearbook staff to take pictures. The main ballroom was full of color, and music was in the air. Three main colors were used throughout the entire room: black, white, and gold. Large tables, that fit eight students comfortably, held plates, silverware, and pitchers of ice water. In the center of the table, a sizable gold vase held oversized white feathers; the feathers extended outward to all the edges of the table. All the decorations were in accordance with the theme. HMSA’s own Sound Club provided the music for the entire night. At about 7:30 p.m., volunteers announced that the food was ready to be served. At the sound of this, students immediately lined up with their well-sized dish and approached the large table embellished with a variety of options. The food options were provided by two local restaurants: Hummus House and Pick Your Plate. Students chose between options that included fried chicken, pasta, kabobs, rice, and salad. Once the majority of students finished their meals, the plates were picked up and the lights slowly dimmed. When the lights started to dim, students of all classes clapped their hands and quickly moved over to the dance floor.

Most of the tables were completely empty as the dancefloor was filled with students dancing in groups. At one corner of the ballroom, a table was set up that was filled with sweets, desserts, and treats for everyone to enjoy. Some students, after dancing multiple songs consecutively, resorted to taking a breathe outside on the patio before going back inside. After almost two hours from opening the doors, ASB representatives decided it was time to announce the winners for this year’s dance. Students cleared the floor as Senior Jesse Co. grabbed the microphone and began announcing the winners. First up were the Freshmen class winners. The banners for Lord and Lady went to Carlos G. and Emily N. Next, the Sophomore winners for Duke and Duchess were Melvin T. and Briethney M. The banners for the Junior classes’ Prince and Princess went to Don M. and Melissa M. Lastly, the Seniors’ King and Queen went to Brian P. and Erika G. Congratulations to all the winners! After the announcement, the winners were given their banners and danced a slow song together with the rest of the attendees surrounding them. The night was steadily coming to an end, but students still made the best of it and danced until the last song, literally.

At exactly 10:30 p.m., the lights turned back on and students gathered their belongings and made their way to the exit. Meanwhile, ASB members quickly began cleaning the tables and taking off the decorations. The night was filled with laughter, singing, dancing, and pure fun. I asked Freshmen Sergio M. what he liked most about the dance: “The music. Everyone was jumping and dancing around. It was fun!” Afterward, he said that he would “definitely” attend the next dances in the years to come. In addition, Junior Justin M., a member of ASB, said that he “liked how everyone enjoyed all the decorations.” He then added that he really liked how the dance came along together after all the work that he and his fellow ASB members spent planning it.
All in all, ASB did a fantastic job putting this event together and making it special to all who attended. Students were very pleased and left the dance with memories that they will carry on for years to come.