World Hijab Day is a Success!

Leenah H.

Students participating in the World Hijab Day join outside during lunch period for a group picture. (Photo by Leenah H.)

World Hijab Day is celebrated on Feb. 1st. On this day, women (non-Muslim) around the world wear a hijab for the day. A hijab is a headscarf worn by Muslim women that covers the head and neck but leaves the face clear. Last year, 150 countries participated in World Hijab Day. This year it’s estimated 190 countries will participate in World Hijab Day 2017.

The founder, Nazma Khan, started this back in 2013 after experiencing discrimination first hand. She’s from Bangladesh and came to New York at the age of 11. She remembers being called “Batman” or “ninja” in middle school. She also recalls being called “Osama Bin Laden or terrorist” in college after 9/11. She says one of the only ways to end discrimination is to ask fellow women to experience the hijab themselves.

Different hijab pin colors were available to hold hijabs in place for students participating in the event. (Photo by Tanya G.)

On Wednesday, Feb. 1st, MSA (Muslim Student Association)  gave students the opportunity to wear a hijab from lunch to the end of the school day. MSA members were available to distribute scarves, to show students how the hijab can be worn, and to answer any other questions. The hijabs were brought from home by Leenah H. and Laila N. two MSA officers.

MSA students create posters to promote World Hijab Day, Many HMSA students participated in the event during lunch period. (Photo by Tanya G.)

I asked students what was their experience and motivation for trying the hijab for the first time. Senior Alejandra G. was encouraged to participate in the event because some of her friends wore a hijab and she supports Muslim women. Junior Ashley S. also believed that this was a way to show support for Muslim women: “Wearing this, I believe, shows how they are not alone and we support them. I also wanted to experience what they go through every day.” A couple of Junior boys also decided to experience this first hand. Oscar R., Erick M., Ramiro P., Giber C., and Jorge M. wore the hijab for part of the day. The boys collectively agreed that they “respect the Muslim culture and wanted to experience how women feel every day wearing a hijab.” I also asked Freshman Noor B. how she felt seeing many students wearing the hijab and participating in the event: “I have been wearing a hijab since I was in 6th grade. I encouraged my friends that don’t wear a hijab on a daily basis to experience this. It makes me so happy seeing so many people wanting to do this.”

This year’s World Hijab Day was a success!