Should HMSA Have More College Fairs?

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 Hawthorne Math and Science Academy (HMSA) had its first annual college fair. Several colleges came to speak about their university’s campus, tuition, and what to expect. Every university has its benefits and disadvantages.

Although it was the first college fair held at HMSA, they should continue to hold college fairs every year, to expose students to a variety of universities they may not have any knowledge about. It also gives our HMSA students a chance to interact with college representatives, making it easier and quicker to receive a response. It also saves time and money by not having to travel long distances to ask questions or express concerns about the college.

This was my first time attending a college fair. It was a great opportunity for me, because I was exposed to universities I never knew about. The Multipurpose Room was filled with many ambitious students and parents who were curious about tuition, life at the universities, college requirements, etc. The college representatives had a lot of charisma and optimism, making the overall experience more enjoyable.

These fairs make the selection of colleges easier, because they address student’s concerns and provide specific information. College fairs provide opportunities to learn about beneficial summer programs and useful informational sessions.

As a junior at HMSA, I feel that these fairs are very important for our class, because this is our most important year. This is the year where our grades and GPA matter the most, and the universities will be looking at those numbers when we apply. Having a college fair at HMSA can also help us figure out whether we are on the right track to success.

Having more college fairs will also help freshmen and sophomores find the type of schools they may want to attend, causing them to make better choices during their time in HMSA. They will decide what college best helps them achieve their goals. Even seniors will benefit from college fairs. If seniors are still undecided or need help during the application process, they can receive one on one help from the college representative.

HMSA should have more college fairs because of the information provided and exposure to other universities that help students create and achieve goals leading up to college success.