HMSA Wins National Blue Ribbon School for the Second Time!

(Source: Wikipedia)
(Source: Wikipedia)

On September 28th, the U.S Secretary of Education recognized Hawthorne Math and Science Academy as a 2016 National Blue Ribbon School. This honor was only given to four other high schools in California. To add on to HMSA’s achievements, and boasting rights, this was the second time we were recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School.

The Program, created in 1982, has recognized hundreds of schools each year for their excellence. The National Blue Ribbon award has two categories: Exemplary High Performing and Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing. HMSA was recognized in the Exemplary High Performing category, meaning that our school had the state’s highest graduation rates along with the highest achieving students in English and mathematics.

National Blue Ribbon schools are impacted with new opportunities, financial assistance, and above all, the students feel motivated and inspired for being a part of an award winning school.

Mr. Berumen was thrilled to be recognized for this award. He was extremely proud for winning twice, and said he cannot wait to see both ribbon flags flying together. He hinted that sometime around November, a big surprise might come to HMSA because of our win. Not only was the principal excited, the students were equally as proud of their school. On the day of our recognition, students were treated to ice cream during lunch to celebrate all of their hard work. Freshman Saleha A. said she “was already proud of being an aviator.” Junior Kimberly H. claims she is also proud of her school and “the recognition feels especially rewarding because of all the hard work and effort she put into her schoolwork.”

Congratulations to all of the HMSA staff and students for constantly putting in a ton of effort and continuously pushing to do better.

To find out more about the National Blue Ribbon School Program and other award winners, you can check out their website at http://nationalblueribbonschools.ed.gov/home/about-us/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heb5Mtr51BM