Throwback Thursday: Movie Edition- “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999)

When you go back and remember the 1990’s, there are many great movies that came out, but do people still remember these movies? Today we are throwing it back all the way back to the movie that changed my perspective of high school and taught me that sometimes you don’t have to do or be something you aren’t to satisfy other people.

10 Things I Hate About You is a romantic comedy released on March 31, 1999 starring as main protagonists Julia Stiles and deceased Heath Ledger. Julia Stiles plays the role of Katarina (Kat) Stratford, a rebellious, bad tempered and aggressive high school senior. Heath Ledger plays the role of Patrick Verona, a tough and scary type of guy no one dares to talk to. It also stares actors Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cameron James, Larisa Oleynik as Kat’s ignorant and spoiled sister, Larry Miller as Bianca and Kat’s over protective father, and Andrew Keegan as Joey Donner, a douche and conceited high school senior.

The movie begins with Cameron James, who is a new student at Padua High School, where there are your typical cool kids, nerds, and the rest of the outsiders. On Cameron’s first day, Bianca Stratford grabs his attention without knowing that Bianca is interested in dating Joey Dooner.  Cameron is let know about Bianca’s sister, Kat Stratford by his new friend Michael Eckman. Kat and Bianca do a deal with their father, where Bianca is only permitted to date if Kat dates too. Cameron later goes on to ask Bianca on a date, but Bianca lets him know about her father’s deal. Cameron not wanting to wait and his interest in Bianca leads him to ask Patrick Verona for help. Cameron asks Patrick Verona to make Kat want to date him. Patrick refuses and Cameron comes up with a new plan with the help of Michael. Michael goes on and tells Joey, who is also interested in Bianca to pay Patrick to date Kat, so he could date Bianca. Joey having the money has better luck and convinces Patrick on dating Kat. Patrick attempts to talk and make Kat notice him, but Kat being the person she is, shows no interest at first. Throughout the movie we get to see how Kat and Patrick go from hating each other, to really opening up with each other and showing how they really are and not how people depict them as.

The movie overall is a great movie because it teaches you about peer pressure by showing you Kat’s experience in high school , which eventually leads her to do the opposite of what people expect her to do. Yes, the movie has romance and some people might not like that,but I guarantee it’s a movie worth watching. The first time I saw it, I loved it so much that I watched it again on the same day to replay my favorite scenes.

Well, I hope that refreshed your memory and if you haven’t watched it, make sure to check it out. I’m sure you won’t regret it.