Every Penny Counts!

Pennies for Patients is a program that helps cancer patients and allows students to become more knowledgeable about the program’s cause. Pennies for Patients is a three week campaign at schools that encourages students to donate what they can in order to help The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is dedicated to using all that money for cancer research and helping the patients get well by getting the medical help they need. This program allows students to compete with other students to see who can raise the most money. The students that raise the most are eligible to win a prize as well. This is a fun and amazing school program because, not only does it help patients around the world, but it also helps the students learn more about leukemia and lymphoma.

IMG_20160211_203333
Jeremy L. supporting Pennies for Patients! Photo by Stephanie Ibrahim.

What is Hawthorne Math and Science Academy doing? Hawthorne Math and Science Academy is one of the schools that is a part of the Pennies for Patients program. In each classroom, there is a small box where students can donate any money and a poster that tracks the total earning of the class. However, College Prep 7 (CP 7) is the CP that the students should be giving their donations to. After the three weeks, the first place winners receives an Olive Garden lunch and the second place winners receive a pizza party. If the student’s CP 7 does not win first or second place, then he/she still has a chance to get free dress as long as the class he/she belongs to raises $100. For more information about Pennies for Patients and The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, visit Pennies.org. The website will give you more information about how you can help outside the school.

Look under your cushions and beds, because every penny counts! Good luck to all the CP 7 classes!