APES Students Take Early Thanksgiving Breaks

Erick P.

Forestry camp students.

Ms. Davis, HMSA employee Mr. De La Torre, and six AP Environmental Science students visited the Calvary Christian Camp for four days. They left on Wednesday, November 18th in the afternoon and came back on Saturday, November 21st in the evening.

At the Calvary Christian Camp, the APES students participated in the Forestry Challenge. The students were split up into two teams. Linda M., Elizabeth C., and Tanya G. made up one team, and Erick P., Mutiara S., and Yvan S. made up the other. The challenge consisted of topics on the management and preservation of forests and their inhabitants.

Linda M., Elizabeth C., and Tanya G. received 8th place, and Erick P., Mutiara S., and Yvan S. received 3rd place.

Junior Erick P. greatly enjoyed taking the final exam, which tested his ability to measure and identify distinct trees, after two and a half days of learning and practicing. He had “fun arguing with [his] team members, Mutiara and Yvan, because [they] actually enjoyed what [they] studied.”

Junior Tanya G. also fancied taking the final exam. She experienced using “tools…to measure the tree height, age, and structure.” She also remarked that this fun experience was “something out of [her] comfort zone and a once in a lifetime experience.”  

On the other hand, Junior Elizabeth C. was fascinated by the hikes. The hikes were “cold, [and] the scenery was really beautiful because it’s something [she doesn’t] see everyday.”