Drama Recommendation~All of Us Are Dead

Nadia Hossain, Writer

A new zombie series called All of Us Are Dead was released on the 28th of January. Produced by Lee JQ, Chun Sung-il, and Kim Nam-su, ‘All of Us Are Dead’ is a horror streaming television program inspired by a webtoon of the same name by Joo Dong-geun. All episodes are now available for viewing on the Netflix streaming site, and fans may binge them anytime they want. Set in a high school, it will have you wondering what you would do if a virus was to infiltrate your school? Things could turn out pretty thrilling or the exact opposite for those with weak hearts. 

Such a suspense-filled horror show makes viewers wonder how they might be triumphant in killing flesh-eating zombies or be able to survive an apocalypse. This newest phenomenon became another production that went on to become the most-watched Netflix show in the United States and the top non-English language show in the world. 

There are a few zombie series in the Korean film industry that use cinematography to bring the excitement and tale to life. Along with this new series, there are a variety of zombie films. Some of the most well-known include the films Train to Busan, World War Z, Dawn of the Dead to the Walking Dead series along with many others of different genres. The K-zombies here, bring a new face to the world of zombies-they are much faster and even more strong minded as you will find out in this series specifically. 

This series was filmed mostly around Seoul, South Korea, and started production back in  mid-2021. However, due to the re-spread of COVID-19 in the region, they had to stop it right away, pushing it to be released this year. The director of this series decided that this new production needed to be different from previous works so it was decided to be set in a high school and focus more on the minds of teens (than on the adults). School is supposedly a safe place that you can call a second home, but when trouble brews you may be stuck with others and need to learn how to make various decisions in order to survive. These friendships and bonds with people can also be tested when you are in a dangerous situation and could reveal the true colors or intentions of others. As some are willing to be selfish and put themselves first. On the other hand, being with people you may not be familiar with could result in a strange but strong connection with each other. Situations like this will have viewers wondering again what extent people are willing to go through to survive in numerous risky situations.

This isn’t a show built on jump scares and surprises, but instead it’s one of constant dread. It piques your interest and makes you want to watch more and more to find out what happens next. Viewers may grow attached to certain characters or even come to despise others. The actors’ emotions are very naturalistic, and their passion is well expressed. People are transported into their world, where they experience the same emotions as the characters and face the same survival challenges. You must keep watching to find out who dies or lives. 

Several of the actors performed their own stunts. They even worked with a choreographer to accurately depict the bone-crackling actions of a zombie in order to make scenes in the show as realistic as possible. There were rehearsals and test shoots for key scenes such as those shot in the school library and cafeteria. The behind-the-scenes footage demonstrated the actors’ dedication and hard work. For filming, an original four-story building model of the school up to 100m in length was built from the ground up. They wanted to present a realistic set in order to film all of the scenes and add their own details to make certain things stand out, such as the modest green uniforms that make the color of red blood pop, in addition to CGI. From one-take scenes to original songs, the vivid and visually appealing scenes will undoubtedly capture the attention of many viewers and transport them on an apocalyptic adventure.