Valentine’s Day from Elementary to High School

Juliete Gurung, Writer

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, welcoming the season of red roses and love.

Like all other holidays, Valentine’s Day was much more celebrated during elementary school. It’s funny now that we’re older, we understand the holiday better, yet celebrate it less.

The week of Valentine’s day during elementary school consisted of heart-themed art projects, schools decked out in pink, and classroom parties loaded with Valentine’s day themed sweets.

In high school, classrooms hardly acknowledge Valentine’s Day. Students are too busy stressing about grades and college to focus on getting Valentine treats for all their friends. Like every other holiday, it’s less celebrated the older we get.

In addition, the concept around Valentine’s Day has drastically changed.

In elementary school, kids would give each other valentine notes and candy, not thinking much about it. It was a sweet and innocent love. As we get older, Valentine’s Day turns into a competition. Couples compete to be the cutest; buying huge teddy bears for “love.”

People spam their Snapchat stories to show off their presents; each one competing to have the most. If you really love someone, you should show it every day, not just on February 14th.

American-consumer culture has taken over young generations; turning a day of love into a day of materialistic competition. It’s no surprise seeing pop-up flower shops on the street and 50% off Valentine’s Day sales.

It’s all shallow.

Although we didn’t know what love was back in elementary school, it was still sweet to celebrate. Valentine’s Day now is a meaningless way of showing “love”; an excuse for companies to rack up the prices on Valentines-themed presents.

What is the most common gift on Valentine’s Day? Roses of course. According to NGPF, the average price of 70 cents per rose stem in Los Angeles racks up to $1.85 per stem. I think it’s safe to say that the “love” displayed on Valentine’s Day is tainted.

However, these are all just my opinions. If you want to celebrate Valentine’s Day, then go ahead.

Many will probably assume that my negative attitude towards Valentine’s Day is out of bitterness and jealousy, but it really isn’t. I don’t like Valentine’s Day because of the artificial message it sends, and only for that. Instead, people should focus on loving and taking care of themselves. Otherwise, I think that couples and showing love is really sweet.

Whether you had someone to share it with or not, I hope your Valentine’s Day was everything you wanted.