The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Lady A’s Have Come to Upset

May 1, 2017

The Lady A’s started out their season strong, and they appear to not be letting up. They feel determined to make us feel secure about that this season will be the best one yet!

The Lady A’s have played nine games so far this season and they’ve won eight of those and lost only one. Mr. Dura and the girls are extremely proud of their accomplishments and are happy to see the positive results of all their hard work.

Before heading off to a much-needed Spring Break, The Lady A’s played a fantastic game against Animo Leadership on Thursday, April 6, and did not disappoint. The lady A’s went to break with one more victory under their belts. They ended up with a score of 16-6.

In the bottom of the first inning, the Lady A’s sat on a comfortable 5-0 lead and as the game progressed, they kept getting ahead in the runs. However, during the second inning, Animo managed to secure two runs and on the fourth, they secured one more, boosting the score to 5-3. However, The Lady A’s did not let the close score get to them, they came back with two more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Animo scored three more runs in the top of the fifth inning, leaving the Lady A’s with one run ahead, 7-6. After noticing how close they were to a tie, the girls got out their defensive strategies and held the score to 6 runs for Animo. By the sixth inning, the Lady A’s scored nine more runs and had the lead with a score of 16-6. At that point, the game was called for what is called the 10-run rule, in which the victory was given to the Lady A’s for having 10 runs ahead near the 7th inning.

Mr. Dura is really proud of their performance in the game and of how the girls managed to prevent Animo from catching up, held them back, and took the lead both in the beginning and at the end. Mr. Dura said, “The girl with the big bat was DeAndria Lockett. She had 3 hits, 5 runs batted in, and then she had 16 strikeouts on defense when she was pitching. We also had a lot of girls contributing to the victory; so this was a team victory. All the girls did really well.” Mr. Dura knows that all their hard work and commitment to the team is paying off. The Lady A’s League games started on April 17 and they are confident that this year they’ll be able to upset the top teams in the league.