HMSA’s Last Spirit Week of the Year Yields a Ton of Participation

HMSA+students+join+on+the+blacktop+at+the+end+of+the+school+day+on+Friday.+

Tanya Garcia

HMSA students join on the blacktop at the end of the school day on Friday.

From April 24 to April 28, HMSA’s ASB held spirit week for the last time this school year. During this week, a number of activities were played during lunch and all of the classes showed their spirit by participating each day.

The week started off with College Day; students were allowed to wear a college shirt and/or a college sweater. Many colleges were represented on this day, including UCLA, USC, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, etc. Some seniors represented the college they were going to attend by wearing that college’s merchandise. During lunch, students gathered on the blacktop to play volleyball; students had to sign up prior to lunch to participate.

Tuesday’s theme was Hodgepodge. On this day, students were able to wear clothes that mixed and matched different patterns. It was interesting to see the different combinations students came up with. Some students decided to take this day to the next level and change their usual hairdo; they weren’t afraid to mix around their daily hair routine. The activity of the day was the Solo Cup Olympics, consisting of three different games. First up was a game named “This Blows.” For this game, students had to blow up a balloon and use the air from the balloon to make Solo cups fall down. The person with the fastest time won. The second game, “Movin’ on up,” consisted of many Solo cups stacked onto each other with just one blue Solo cup. The blue Solo cup was placed on the bottom of the pile. One by one, students had to move the blue Solo cup to the top. The fastest team to finish won. The third part of the activity was “Stack Attack.” The goal of the last and final activity was to stack solo cups into a pyramid and then quickly put them into one column. After the first student finished this activity, the next person in that grade level was next.

Following Hodge Podge Day was Wednesday Sports Day. Students came to school in a team jersey, shirt and/or sweater. Students were able to show their spirit for our school and their favorite teams. In honor of Sports Day, the activity of the day was basketball. The game was so great that it cut into a few minutes of the passing period. Fortunately, students were still able to make it to class on time.

HMSA decided to do a throwback Thursday, taking us back to the 80’s. Students were able to make a statement with the denim and the neon colors. Students pulled off the bold looks and rocked their outfits. Keeping it simple, the lunch activity was the Pipe game. This game included a marble and PVC pipes that were cut in half. The goal of this game was to keep a marble rolling towards a specific destination with just PVC pipes; the first student would run towards the end of the line to keep the ball rolling and the student after did the same thing. The class to make it to the destination first without dropping the marble won.

Last but not least was Friday, Spirit Day. Students wore their class spirit shirt. Supporting their class, students could have also worn their class pin. Friday was cut to an activity day schedule to make time for Nationball. Classes were able to participate and go head to head with another class, Seniors vs. Freshmen and Juniors vs. Sophomores. For the first rounds, the Seniors and Juniors won. Both classes stepped aside for the Freshmen and Sophomores to play and compete for third place. The Freshmen won third place and it was now time for Seniors vs. Juniors. Seniors took the victory and Juniors won second place. Lastly came the Seniors vs. Teachers plus Alumni. Unfortunately, the game was cut short by the bell.

The scores for the entire week came down to, Seniors in first, Juniors in second, Freshmen in third, and Sophomores in last place. Sadly, this was the last spirit week for our Seniors. For the rest of HMSA, there is still next year!