The student news site of Hawthorne Math and Science Academy

Successful Season for the Mud-Bowl Fighters

March 6, 2017

The girls soccer team was as strong as ever fighting through cold and rainy weather, and most importantly, gaining victories in the league. The girls and coaches, Mr. Kircher and Ms.Vazquez, were certain that this year would be prosperous; turns out that they were right.

Throughout the season, the girls soccer team won five games and tied two games. The girls had very few practice days due to breaks that interfered with their season; however, they did not let that inconvenience stifle them. With a strong team and new soccer players, they proved to be very competitive. As Mr. Kircher remarked, “they improved by working hard and playing well together. The freshman helped the returners create a strong team.” They battled hard and proved once again to be unstoppable.

Ms. Enger
From left to right: Xochilt A.(co-captain), Mr. Kircher (coach), and Eslie (co-captain)

The girls showed progress with every game they played. Their improvement was best showcased when they battled teams for the second time. One of those games was against Rolling Hills Prep, where they tied 2-2 the first time they played them; however, in their second game against them, they showed significant improvement with a 6-1 thrashing. The second game against Rolling Hills Prep showed how much they improved their skills.

Unfortunately, a tied game diminished the girls’ hopes of making it to playoffs. However, this detail should not undermine their efforts. Ultimately, the girls were ready to go out there and have fun; after all, they believe that’s the most important thing about soccer. Junior, Luisa M. stated, “One of my favorite times was when we finished a game against Lennox and we had fun talking and playing around after the game. I think the most important thing were the friendships we made during the season and how we learned to work as a team in the end.”

The girls soccer team says goodbye to seniors (from left to right: Evelyn N., Mariajose C., Giselle B., and Jackie B.) after they played their last game.  (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth M.)

Overall, the girls are extremely proud of their improvement and have learned to appreciate everything that happened on the field, like their mud-bowl field, which brought them excitement and motivation. Senior Jacquelyn B. said, “The highlight of this season was winning 5 games because it was the first time we won so many games since I started playing. I learned to trust my teammates and have good communication skills in order to be successful on the team.” Mr. Kircher is extremely proud of their achievements: “The girls had a great season. They played at a high level and were competitive in league play.”

The last game was certainly one of the best and most important. It showed how much we’ve improved defensively.

— Daisy G.

The girls soccer team missed the playoffs by just one spot, but showed the league that they will be a force to be remembered. Although the girls played through mud, rain, and cold weather, they never complained about anything. Kircher also mentioned “they learned to play through difficult weather and field conditions (Mud Bowl) and never gave up. They challenged each other to play harder while displaying good sportsmanship at all times.” The team members also learned the importance of teamwork and communication; they applied what they learned in each practice and throughout their season. Their last game was played with a great defensive effort against New Roads and ended with a tie, with balls taken out of the danger zone by the defense. Freshman, Daisy G., said,”the last game was certainly one of the best and most important. It showed how much we’ve improved defensively.” The girls are also really grateful for the additional support Ms. Vazquez provided by coming to some of their practices and games; she also gave them advice on what they can do to improve. Long story short, the mud-bowl fighters ended their season with the satisfaction of knowing they did their best, and they got to play with their soccer team-family.

Thank you to seniors Giselle B., Jacquelyn B., Mariajose C., and Evelyn N. for their hard work on the team.