Equality For All

Equality between genders is essential for unity everywhere. When equality is not present and widely known by those involved, tensions rise. In a business, work flows more smoothly when there is not any tension present.

Hawthorne Math and Science Academy actively practices equality in ethics, race, and gender. HMSA is so committed to equality that it’s in their mission statement: “HMSA is committed to preparing all students–regardless of gender, ethnicity, primary language or special needs status–for future success.” The school wants to give each student an equal opportunity to achieve their ideal future. Every student is taught the same way. To ensure the mission statement is carried out, not only in academics, but also in sports, HMSA makes sure each sport is available for both males and females.

When sophomore Salman G. was asked how he feels about gender equality, he expressed that “there should be no discrimination between the two. Women have always been oppressed and it’s time that it stops.” When asked why, he explained that “times have changed to the point where it doesn’t even matter what gender you are when it comes to doing something because woman have proved again and again that they are equal or better than men.”

The best way to rid ourselves of the division between genders is by accepting we are all the same. We all want to be successful and content in our future. Instead of trying to divide and conquer, why don’t we unite and demolish bitterness?